Doing post graduation in international universities, especially in UK is one of the dreams of many medical practitioners. Post graduate qualifications, clinical specialties and other medical degrees are offered by many universities across the globe. Doing MD in UK is not difficult as it appears. UK Universities offer internationally recognized Masters Degree across all major specializations. Here is an overview to about doing MD, in major specializations.
MD in UK without PLAB
An exclusive training course has been developed by the British University, for the international doctors who aspire to pursue MD. In collaboration with the NHS Hospital and Royal College of Physicians, London, British University offers this course.
The course seems an exciting opportunity for the ambitious doctors, who can benefit immensely from getting a Clinical MD.
This course comprises of rotational intense training on different clinical specialties, from Acute Medicine, Stroke Medicine, Diabetes, Cardiology, Neurology, Psychiatric Medicine and many more. The rotational training is offered to the students in the top UK hospital, which also equip the candidates to develop research skills.
International Doctors, ambitious about doing MD in UK, gains comprehensive skills, intensive clinical training, research training and options to work along with the reputed hospital, NHS. This course enables the graduates to enhance their skills and become a promising, reputed and skilled Medical Practitioners in their origin.
Specialties Available in UK to do MD without PLAB
PG Courses (MCI-Recognized):
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Psychiatric Medicine
- Respiratory Diseases
Diploma Courses (MCI-Recognized):
- Diploma in Orthopaedic
- Diploma in Gynaecology
- Diploma in Radiology
- Diploma in Dermatology
- Diploma in Paediatrics
- Diploma in Ophthalmology
- Diploma in Psychiatric
Note: Except That Internal Medicine Rest All Courses will be offered as 1st year MSc in Specialty followed by 2 years of MD.
About the Institute Offering the Course
The institute offering this course is extremely special. It is a government University in UK, aged 175 years.
- It is one of the oldest higher education institution, having a reputation for high quality education in UK
- Well-built infrastructure, state-of-the-art amenities and hands on technology
- Has a higher world ranking, than AIIMS Delhi
- All trainings to the candidates associates with the reputed NHS Hospital in UK
The entry requirements to all the international applicants to this MD course in Internal Medicine includes,
- An MBBS degree from any recognized university or any equivalent degree from any medical school, internationally recognized
- A minimum of two years experience, post completion of MBBS or equivalent degree. It should include at least one year internship in a hospital.
- The candidates should also submit the course completion certification.
Apart from these basic eligibility requirements with respect to qualification, there are additional requirements to get qualified to pursue MD.
- The applicant should not have any unreasonable gap, after immediate completion of MBBS
- Since this course is about joining MD in UK without PLAB, candidates who appeared and failed in PLAB are not qualified.
- IELTS Score minimum 7.5
- Successful completion of the undergraduate training and duly register with Medical Council, in the respective country
After completion of course, the candidates get the opportunities to
- Get hands-on training, work and stay in the reputed and the old university in the UK
- Comprehensive training on all specialties of the Clinical Medicine, meticulously supported by the supervisors
- Gains clinical training portfolio. This portfolio is similar to the UK training programme, which is provided in collaboration with the RCP London. Besides, this is provided after completion of MRCP.
- Gets opportunity to work as a junior doctor along with the local graduates. (This is a paid work, for a maximum of 20 hours)
Apart from MD in UK, study of two major branches receives a lot of applications from medical undergraduates.
- PG Dermatology in UK
- PG Orthopedic in UK
MBBS qualified candidates can apply for these courses in the UK Universities as PG Degree, claiming the specialization.
Dermatology in UK
The branch of dermatology in medical science studies about hair, skin and nails. It deals with addressing the diseases, focus on skin care, hair care and nail care, exploring treatment options and treating cosmetic problems of hair, skin, scalp and nails.
Training in Dermatology in UK
Dermatologist is a recognized, medically qualified practitioner in UK. A dermatologist practice specialize medicine in the field of dermatology and can move to sub-specialize in exploring different areas. How to train in dermatology in UK?
- MBBS or any equivalent degree like MBBCh, MB, Bchir degree, in any reputed medical school or university
- One year in-house training at any hospital to register as medical practitioner
- Minimum of two years training in general medicine, to get higher degree and become a registered member of Royal College of Physicians
- After qualifying in MCRP examination, register as Specialty Registrar in Dermatology
- Study four years in Dermatology
- Qualifying in the Specialty Certificate Examination before completion of training
List of Dermatology Courses in UK
MSC, PG diploma, PC Certification in Clinical Dermatology is offered in the following universities.
- University of Hertfordshire
- Kings College London
- University of Cardiff
Upon completion of the four year training, a doctor becomes a qualified dermatologist. He or she can then apply for to practice dermatology as consultant in any hospital or practice individually.
Orthopedic in UK
Similar to gaining a dermatology specialist degree in UK, Orthopedics is equally popular. Orthopedics is one of the much needed fields of study that deals with injuries to muscles and bones.
This branch of study deals with learning, diagnosis, surgical and nonsurgical procedures that relates to musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons use both nonsurgical and surgical procedures to treat various musculoskeletal disorders like bone degeneration, spine problems, chronic bone disorders, sports injuries, infections, fractures, tumors and degenerative conditions.
Some of the most common procedures executed by orthopedic surgeons include,
- Knee arthroscopy and meniscectomy
- Decompression and arthroscopy of spine
- Carpal tunnel release
- Knee arthroscopy and chondroplasty
- Removal of support implant
- Knee arthroscopy and anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Knee arthroscopy repair of both menisci
- Knee replacement
- Hip replacement
- Repair of femoral neck fracture
- Repair of trochanteric fracture
- Debridement of skin/muscle/bone/fracture
- Shoulder arthroscopy/distal clavicle excision
- Shoulder arthroscopy and debridement
- Repair of rotator cuff tendon
- Repair fracture of radius (bone)/ulna
- Repair of ankle fracture (bimalleolar type)
- Repair fracture of the distal part of radius
- Repair of ankle fracture (fibula)
- Repair of femoral shaft fracture
- Repair of trochanteric fracture
- Lumbar spinal fusion
- Low back intervertebral disc surgery
- Incise finger tendon sheath
A practicing orthopedic works for an average of 50 hours a week, which is divided into clinical visits, surgery, administrative responsibilities, teaching and academic research, if applicable.
PG Orthopedic courses in UK
- Msc Orthopaedic Science
- Mch Orthopaedic Surgery
- Msc Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Msc Orthopaedic and rehabilitation Technology
- Msc Motion Analysis
Training in Orthopedics in UK
Since orthopedics comes under surgical program, it calls for additional registration.
The International Surgical Training Programme – ISTP regulates training of International Medical Graduates (IMG).
- ISTP comes under the general MTI – Medical Training Initiative program in UK
- Enables IMGs to get sponsorship to register and get visa for training in UK hospitals for 2 years.
International Medical Graduates to get eligibility to register for ISTP, the entry requirements includes the following.
- Should work with any ISTP overseas partner
- Should be overseas resident during the time of application to ISTP scheme
- Applicant should not possess any rights as resident in UK, EU, EEA and Switzerland
- Should have a primary medical qualification degree, duly recognized by GMC
- Should have completed the internship in recognized hospital for a minimum period of 12 months, immediately after completion of undergraduate training
- Should have a minimum of three years experience in clinical practice or training. This three years practice does not count one year clinical internship or observation.
- Should have passed MRCS or should hold any equivalent / alternative qualification for eligibility
- Should not have attempted PLAB test
Should have scored a minimum of 7.5 score in IELTS exam.
Recognition of MD in UK without PLAB in India
Recognition of a medical degree studied abroad is a major concern for many international students. After completion of this course, Indian candidates need not worry about the recognition. This course is internationally recognized.
While the entry requirements and eligibility to MD in UK without PLAB appears very rigid, it becomes a pride to a medical practitioner. Since MD in any specialty in UK is internationally recognized and comes with comprehensive training, it is easy for medical graduates to start practicing soon after completion of course and required training in the respective field.
- This is recognized by Medical Council of India. Click Here to Read MCI Official Notification.
- No exam required to register in India and start practice as specialist doctor
- No screening test or other additional qualification is required
- Successful candidates can also take-up teaching profession, in the Medical Colleges in India, as Assistant Professor. Click to Read MCI official announcement.
Admission Process, Fee Structure, Terms & Condition:
Contact Universal Consulting Services Head Office only. Call- +91-8177000509